Dog Kennel Flooring | PEM Surface
PEM Surface Creations is always looking for new industries to serve with our poly extruded matting. After 15 years in business, we’re excited to know that the product continues to grow in popularity and purpose. The Missouri dog industry has seen many changes over the last few years and PEM has developed a new application to accommodate Missouri breeders.
In 2011, the Missouri General Assembly passed the Canine Cruelty Prevention Act. In doing so, law was set to improve the standard care for dogs across the state, including components that directly affect animal health and welfare.
Senate Bill 161 put improved flooring standards at a priority. Wire strand flooring was prohibited for new construction and phased out of existing facilities. In addition, elevated flooring now requires special approval. All dogs housed on elevated flooring must be provided a SOLID surface on which to lie in a recumbent position. In order to qualify as a solid resting surface, flooring cannot allow any portion of the dog’s feet or toes to pass through. It must protect the animal’s feet and legs from injury, and must be large enough to hold all the occupants of the enclosure at the same time comfortably.
PEM was tested for over five years in a “Blue Ribbon Kennel” in the state of Missouri. The Blue Ribbon Kennel Award is given by the Missouri Department of Agriculture to top kennels who satisfy all of the program guidelines. Only seven kennels to date have received this classification out of hundreds of facilities statewide.
PEM’s “Solid Resting Surface“ was approved in February 2012 by Matt Rold, Animal Care Program Coordinator with the Missouri Department of Agriculture. The Solid Resting Surface exceeded expectations and satisfied all of the requirements for approval. The product is easy to clean, low maintenance and highly durable.
“When I started using them in the dog runs and bed areas, I found how easy they were to clean,” reported Louise Loeb, owner of Loeb-A-Rosa Kennels, a Missouri Blue Ribbon Kennel. “lt was also nice to know your products have PEM Antimicrobial in the plastic formula, protecting against the growth of bacteria and mold.”
Earlier this spring, PEM attended our first dog show, hosted by the Missouri Pet Breeders Association in Springfield, MO. There were over one thousand dog breeders from Missouri and adjoining states in attendance. PEM’s Dog Kennel Solid Resting Surface drew great interest by all at the show and we look forward to further exploring opportunities and applications within the industry.
- Approved by Missouri Department of Agriculture for “Solid Resting Surface”.
- 1OO% Made in USA – Thermo Plastic Formula.
- PEM® Antimicrobial formula to guard against the growth of bacteria.
- Low Maintenance – feces easy to remove and wash, ready to use over and over. Sweep, water wash down or vacuum.
- Porous Construction allows urine and water to pass through, keeping dogs dry.
- PEM® offers three thicknesses for different weight dogs – Fluff, Light Weight and High Traffic. Fluff used for whelping pens only.
- PEM® available in three widths: 24”, 36” and 72” wide x 25’ long Rolls.
- PEM® available in several colors: Blue, Gray, Sandstone, Hunter Green and Black.
- Cuts easily with standard razor knife to custom fit any application.
- Can also be used for shade by attaching to pens using standard nylon ties.
Please call 1-800-783-2358 for more information.